Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fiber-Slump, With Hope

Ever since moving up here (I'm in Maryland, near Baltimore), I've found it hard to get motivated.

First, my stash was un-findable in some box labeled "Office Stuff" - the box labeled "Yarn" had not a single thread in it. There's still a bunch of stash that is MIA, four months later. I'm pretty sure that there's a box that didn't make it from Georgia.

Then, I was incredibly fortunate to be gifted a spinning wheel - something I always wanted to get into. I got books, and I got into spinning. A little. But it's hard. It's not singing to me yet. And I'm getting frustrated.

Then, there was this God-awful heat wave. There's no central air in this house, though we have window units in the bedrooms, but there's no chair in my bedroom. It is awfully hard to get excited about putting your hands in yarn or roving when it's 87 degrees inside.

Apparently, I'm not the only one facing a yarn-slump. Looking for inspiration, looking for a song, I picked up a copy of Knit ' Style, only to find, in nice big letters on page 18, "A Knitting Slump," an article by Jack Lewis, who seems to be facing the same problem.

Attending the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival was a temporary fix, like a addict, having one hell of a binge weekend.

While there, I picked up a skein of Djinni Sock Yarn from Dragonfly Fibers. I had to, you see, as I often go by Djinn on the interwebs. There aren't many of us that spell it that way. It's a gorgeous mix of greens (Thing One's favorite color) with tiny spots of rust here and there. I'm using the basic pattern from the book Two-At-A-Time Toe-Up Socks and really like it, so far. It's the least-painful sock method I've found yet, but it's still going slowly. I'll post gleeful pictures about the whole process of these socks later, in a much happier post. Hopefully seeing those socks on Thing One's feet will perk me right up. Also, my spidey-senses are tingling; I have a feeling I'll be knitting for a special occasion very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment